Galina Tachieva is a planner, urban designer and architectural designer with more than twenty years experience in sustainable urbanism, urban redevelopment, sprawl repair, and form-based codes. She is the author of the award-winning Sprawl Repair Manual (Island Press) and the SmartCode Sprawl Repair Module.
Multilingual, Tachieva has experience with projects across the United States, Latin America, Europe and Russia, including regional plans, environmental conservation, new communities, resort towns, downtowns and urban infill, and commercial, retail, institutional and residential buildings. Managing complex projects and teams, she has led charrettes and other public processes, from project initiation through implementation.
Tachieva maintains an active civic engagement. A member of the Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) she has been leading its national Sprawl Retrofit Initiative. She is a founding member of the Council for European Urbanism (CEU), and she has lectured throughout the world. She has been a visiting lecturer and design critic at Harvard University, the Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (UNIRIO), and at the University of Miami.
- One Thing Silicon Valley Can’t Seem to Fix
- Malls are doomed: 25% will be gone in 5 years
- Happy 70th to True American Suburbia - Levittown was once finishing a new house every 16 minutes.
- Shipping containers, oval swings and food trucks? How old Eastland Mall site could be reimagined
- From “Sprawl” to a “Complete Community”
- Lean Sprawl Repair – Mall Retrofit
- Transect for Sprawl Repair
- The Sprawl Repair Method – How to Transform Sprawl into Complete, Balanced Communities
- The Unbearable Cost of Sprawl - How planners can correct some of the worst excesses of the exurbs
- Sprawl Repair - From Sprawl to Complete Communities
- Sprawl Repair: From Auto-Scale to Human-Scale
- Interview with GalinaTachieva
- When overabundance becomes a liability
- Retrofitting suburbia: the state of the art
- Sprawl Repair: What It Is and Why We Need It
- Is urbanism the key to a sustainable future?
- Roundtable: Sustainability in the Urban Context - Is urbanism the key to a sustainable future?
- Sprawl Repair For The Shopping Mall
Events & Lectures
- Sprawl Repair for Florida's Communities
- ROWE ROME 2015: The Best of Both Worlds, Regenerating the Light City
- CNU Utah Sprawl Repair Webinar
- Stranded Real Estate Assets: Changing Economy, Changing Land Use
- Tri-County Regional Planning Commission Annual Dinner Keynote Speech
- Ivory Press Roundtable Discussion
- A Short History of the Future
- The Importance of The Sprawl Repair Initiative
- Sprawl Repair in Florida: From Auto Scale to Human Scale
- Keynote Lecture
- Sprawl: Past, Present, Future
- Retrofitting Suburbia 202
- Sprawl Retrofit at the Macro Scale
- Creating Choices and Improving Quality of Life through Repair and Redevelopment: Tools for Columbus & Ohio
- Sprawl Repair Today and Tomorrow